Monday, April 13, 2009

How it all Changed for the Better...


Happy Easter y'all!!!  It's interesting that I am concluding my 3-part reflection mini-series on Easter Monday, the day that reminds us all of the hope we have in Christ.  And yup, y'all know where there's life, there's hope.

Ok... so where was I?  Oh yeah, I was telling you how my luck suddenly changed after I paid my tithes.

It's interesting how people take the Bible literally and think that once you pay your tithes you suddenly become rich from nowhere.  Whilst this may be true for some people,  from my personal experience, I realise that no matter how bad my financial situation may seem, I always manage to get by somehow.  Last year when I needed to furnish my place, the perfect recruitment job came along at just the right time in the perfect organization in a perfect location, with the perfect work hours and work load and the more-than-perfect pay.  This year, it came in the form of an unexplainable though logical increase in my disposable income. 

Ok, lemme explain.

I paid my tithes right and it was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.  I suddenly felt lighter and suddenly things became clearer!  I now had a definite plan on how to execute my final collection.  No more panic buying!  Outfit 1, Trial 4 and Outfit 2 had to be made with the perfect fabrics because I really didn't have the time, money, energy to re-do any outfit.  Besides, it was a waste of resources and definitely not an efficient way of doing business in the real world.  

So the following weekend, I went round to fabric stores to look for fabrics and came across (in my opinion) this STUNNING embossed tafetta fabric!  I didn't buy much, like I would normally do.  I bought 10cm and took it to my teacher to confirm the appropriateness of the fabric for my look.  I got a thumbs-up!  Sigh.... a step in the right direction!  

2 days later, I went to my favourite fabric store in Woodstock to source for more fabrics, particularly one I had my eye on.  Why is Studio 47 my favourite store?  Simple.  Apart from buying amazing fabrics at half the price and still getting a discount on the already cheap fabrics, I have such an excellent relationship with the store owner and the staff that I took them cupcakes on my birthday and have dropped some of the staff off at the train station a few times.  Well people, my perfect relationship with them paid off!  

I was told I could return ALL the fabrics I had already bought if I didn't like them and exchange the value for anything else I wanted in the store.  I was ecstatic!  Like WOW!!!  This has NEVER  happened in any other store.  In fact all stores have the sign "no returns or refunds on cut fabric" or something along that line and here I was told I could return fabrics I had bought almost a month earlier.  And I didn't even ask them, THEY suggested it because I was such an excellent customer.  See people, paying my 10% paid off!  

So I returned all the fabrics I had previously wasted hundreds of rands on and replaced them with the perfect fabrics and other materials I would use for my collection.  The implication of this?  I didn't have to spend more money!  The effect?  An increase in my disposable income! 

Well though things did not immediately change as a result of the "butterfly effect", i.e. the ripple effects of previous actions, Outfit 1, Trial 4 and Outift 2 were a success and were handed in on time.  I wish I could say the same for Outfit 2's pattern though and I ended the module with a frown.  But hey, it could have been much worse though.  Funny... that was another disappointment that turned into a blessing... but that's another story for another day...

Well people, the new module starts on Wednesday and I would be lying if I told you I was looking forward to it.  I'm not scared of hard work but I am quite worried about the huge workload and the short deadlines.  But hey, I rested well this Easter so I'm more positive I'll cope better.  

Oh... by the way, one positive thing amidst all the stress and turmoil was buying my car!   THAT people is the best investment I ever made this year.  That is another testimony of mine that I won't get into now... or ever... but hey God has been faithful and I'm thankful!

Ok... lemme round off now by saying I'm certain you enjoyed your Easter holiday.  I know I did because I pretty much partied all weekend and met some pretty interesting people.  Shame all good things have to come to an end... too soon if you ask me... :-)

BUT now it's time to get back to work!  The sooner the better I guess.  No use prolonging the inevitable right?  Do keep your fingers crossed for me y'all!

Have a great week!  :-)

No comments: