Monday, March 10, 2008

Is Expensive Necessarily Good Quality?



Remember this picture? The Halle Berry look I told y'all about last year. The cut that my top notch highly expensive salon told me was a piece of cake to achieve. I mean.... how hard can this cut be right? Hmmmnn...

Like every girl I could spend any amount to get the perfect look. I have always believed that a brilliant hairdresser and make-up artist were all that was needed to achieve "that" look. My business teacher once told us, you wear your hair everyday so any amount spent on it would be fully utilised. One could always get away with a pair of jeans, a tee-shirt and a pair of flip flops. Besides, you can't wear them everyday of the week, unlike your hair and "face". This is probably why people charge an arm, a leg and 3 ribs right for both services and the accompanying products.

However, many of us suffer from the misconception that the more expensive a product or service is, the better the product or service is. Well my experience this past weekend proved otherwise.

Check this out:

In the quest for that famous Halle Berry crop, I went to my top-notch salon because I assumed they were good. The decor, the smiles, the cappuchino, HECK you feel they definitely must know what they're about. So imagine my shock when, even with a picture, I got an absolutely horrid haircut! And then I was charged R430 for the nonsense!!!! People, the hair was SO nasty, I fixed a weave the very next week!

Well..... 6.5 months down the line, I risk another haircut after seeing this really amazing creation on a friend. It was simply gorgeous. BUT.... to get the haircut, I had to go to a salon in the "township"!!! My goodness! The township is not where anyone wants to go. I would have a fit if I heard my sister went to the township. BUT a week later, I decided to go to the salon in the township simply because I could not get over the hair cut.

SO.... yesterday, I went to the township, looking as plain as ever, without jewelry, to ensure I came back in 1 piece. After enduring 2 agonising hours on the bus, I arrive at the salon. Hmmmnnnnn... ok let's fast forward to the good bit!

PEOPLE.... R170 and 5 hrs later, I look like a million bucks! I could not believe it! Y'all should see me now. DARN I look good even if I do say so myself! I mean though it was stressful, it was really worth it. And I am going back next week to add colour to my hair! Ok... I may go back...

BUT really people, a lot of us know deep down we're actually paying for the facilities rather than the service. A lot of us (me inclusive) need to change our mind-set that the more expensive a service is, the better the service. Cheap does not necessarily mean low quality.

I leave you with this text message my sister sent me after her trip last year:

"It is quite interesting to note that your so-called cheap clothes which you dissed me for buying do not shrink, fade or stretch after several washes. I have worn them several times and they're still as good as new. I wonder if it is just a bias..."

I have thought about this ever since she sent it to me and after my experience, I think she might be right.

Shame I didn't have this cut before my TV show last week...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok....so when can we see this new hair cut?....What made you think that you can look like Halle Berry? You have to get the hairstyle that suits your face....and don't forget she's mixed too, so she can just wash and go without the necessary torture that we put our hair through (relaxer, heat, chemicals that strips our hair of its natural oils when we wash our hair...and of course the curling iron). Am glad you like your new do, pls post a pix....
It's the 3rd musketeer:)

Anonymous said...

Whatzup? Sista you give me constant joke! I like your style, man! Just dont get too excited and go to the Township too late!!!! The good thing is that you like your new hairstyle. But you should let us know what the people around you think, like your class mates or your flat mates!

T.Williams-A said...

LOL!!! Tell me about it Musketeer. My hair is actually going through a crisis right. So yah, my happiness was short-lived.